Acridine Orange counts?

Josh Neufeld nitrogenase at
Mon Jan 15 22:08:12 EST 2001

Before extracting DNA from several different pure cultures of bacteria I
would like to accurately quantify the total number of cells, alive and
dead, in each culture (since DNA from all visible cells will be
extracted).  I suspect that acridine orange direct counts (AODC), viewed
with epifluorescence will likely be the best option for this.  However,
I am having troubles finding a detailed acridine orange direct count
(AODC) protocol that is directed towards pure cultures filtered onto
membranes.  I am particularly interested in knowing the number of
fields/number of organisms to count for the data to be statistically

Does anyone know of an appropriate protocol that might help me?

Thank you,

Josh Neufeld
PhD candidate
Department of Microbiology and Immunology
University of British Columbia

Sent via