Acridine Orange counts?

Josh Neufeld nitrogenase at my-deja.com
Mon Jan 15 22:08:12 EST 2001

Hello,

Before extracting DNA from several different pure cultures of bacteria I
would like to accurately quantify the total number of cells, alive and
dead, in each culture (since DNA from all visible cells will be
extracted).  I suspect that acridine orange direct counts (AODC), viewed
with epifluorescence will likely be the best option for this.  However,
I am having troubles finding a detailed acridine orange direct count
(AODC) protocol that is directed towards pure cultures filtered onto
membranes.  I am particularly interested in knowing the number of
fields/number of organisms to count for the data to be statistically
significant.

Does anyone know of an appropriate protocol that might help me?

Thank you,
Josh.

--
Josh Neufeld