Annealing palindromic linkers

Peter Ashby p.r.ashby at dundee.MAPS.ac.uk
Tue Jan 16 10:57:18 EST 2001

In article <3a63fb84$1 at news.unibe.ch>, "Bruno Cenni"
<bruno.removethis.cenni at removethis.insel.ch> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we're (expectedly) having troubles cloning a linker into a plasmid. This
> linker consists of two complementary 33 bp oligos that after annealing
> have
> open restriction enzyme sites at their ends. The problems comes probably
> from the fact that the oligos contain two complementary inverted 6 bp
> recognition sites thus giving a palindrome (spaced by 3 bp). Any
> suggestions
> on conditions to increase the proper annealing of the oligos without too
> much of the self-annealing and stem-loop formation?

Are your oligos phosphorylated? it makes quite a difference when doing
this and I would suspect that before assuming your oligos haven't
annealed. A cheap way to achieve this is to make your oligos overlapping
and then cut them after annealing.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby