silver stain

Susanne Rohrer "srohrer(removethis)" at immv.unizh.ch
Wed Jan 17 05:21:03 EST 2001

ckf11 at my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I've got a protein which refuses to show up with silver stain, apart
> from as a slightly lighter band against the background, but the
> contaminants show up really well.

That may be because you protein does not have enough of the amino acids
that react in silver staining (I don't remember which ones, forgot the
chemical mechanism. read up in Maniatis or so). some proteins just don't
stain.

> Is it possible to stain with
> coommassie blue following a silver stain or are there some tricks to get
> difficult proteins to stain.

A counterstain with coomassie works nicely, and is also described in one of
the major cookbooks.

I have used the very sensitive colloidal gold stain (commercially available
from biorad, no affiliation)

Susanne