Common problem

Claire Fenech c.j.fenech at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Jan 17 08:03:19 EST 2001

Hi all

When you do restriction digests then run the digested DNA on an agarose gel
- do you ever get "blobby" bands (with lots of "trailing dots") ?
I sometime get this and it is not prevented by phenol:chloroform extraction
after digest, nor by heat denaturing the enzymes.
Does anybody know what this common phenomenon is ? Is it something to do
with EtBr interaction ?? Overloading ? Too much DNA ?
I am curious to know even if it is obvious.

Thanks for your suggestions

Claire Fenech, Research Associate
c.j.fenech at sheffield.ac.uk
Phone: 0114 222 2364