What is Informatics?

Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com
Thu Jan 18 11:49:59 EST 2001

I see your point.  People see dollar signs and everyone rushes for the
"sexy" science that day (or at least the investors and funding agencies)
creating a vacuum of money, visibility and respect for the equally
important "existing" sciences.  In the case of bioinformatics, it's link to
two other "sexy" (real but fad) fields, biotechnology and the internet
craze probably have a lot to do with fostering it's recent status and
resentment.  I'm not old enough to have witnessed first hand the evolution
of our current "scientific hierarchy" but I suspect the molecular biology
field had (and maybe still has) similar resistance in establishing itself
as a subset of biology.  It won't be long before bioinformatics (if the
term survives) is knocked off it's pedestal by the latest and greatest.

It's obvious that computational biology (bioinformatics?) falls within the
realm of biology.  The question is, is it large enough, real enough and
general enough to warrant it's own "field designation"?  Or could it  just
be a tool to support molecular biology, microbiology, cellular biology,
biochemistry, etc. ... with terminology picked up by venture capitalists
and pharmaceutical firms to add to their lexicon of "sexy sounding names
that draw money".

My personal and self serving hope is that the answer is the former, giving
me the opportunity to "specialize" in the field.  The real problem seems
not to be so much the terminology itself, but human beings need to assign
varying degrees of status to one "bucket" or another.  Dr. Seuss taught us
that.  One day your a sneetch with a star on your belly but you can bet
another sneetch is coming along with something better.  And now I've
strayed too far off course.

BTW ... I'm not sure I understand what Proteomics is either.

Bill

Sent by:  owner-methods at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk