lipofectamine plus

David L Haviland David.L.Haviland at uth.tmc.edu
Tue Jan 23 13:11:58 EST 2001

Sophie Le Page wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anybody out there tried staining cells with rhodamine-phalloidin (or
> any other rhodamine tagged probe) after they have been transiently
> transfected with lipofectamine plus? Recently I have tried this and have
> got lots of background that I suspect may be the plus/DNA/lipofectamine
> complex fluorescing.    I have done the staining many times with regular
> lipofectamine and haven't had a problem with background.
>
> Has anybody else had this happen??

No, but I do know the Plus reagent inhibits the phospholipase C assay as it
may disrupt the membrane more than just Lipfectamaine...

My suggestion woud be to try the lippofectamine alone and a sham control
with just the plus reagent and compare the background of all three.  Also
what cells are you using?  Some, especially of lung orign, are noted for
horrible background fluorescence.

Hope this helps,
David
==========
David L. Haviland, Ph.D., Asst. Prof. Immunology
University of Texas - Houston, H.S.C.
Institute of Molecular Medicine, R907
2121 W. Holcombe Blvd.,  Houston, TX  77030
713.500.2413-Voice//713.500.2424-FAX
Thot for the Day:
Things could be worse...  Martha Stewart could be your mother-in-law.

---