she won't eat no more!

David L Haviland David.L.Haviland at uth.tmc.edu
Tue Jan 23 14:01:58 EST 2001

clarosa wrote:

> Best to decapitate this critter, skin and tan the hide,,, and mount it
> on your wall,,, then you won't need to worry about it anymore.
>
> Selim's email wrote:
>
> > Hi doc, maybe you can help me.  My ball python is about 4 months old,
> > she used to eat alot, and packed on a lot of beef.  But then she just
> > stopped about 2 months ago she'll have maybe 1 mouse every 3 weeks, is
> > this normal? If not, then maybe you can give me a few suggestions?
> > Thank you.

Well.. I don't know if I'd go THAT far...  Snakes are great pets and are as
close to being allergy free (same for fish) as you can get.   If tame, you
can at least hold them and they love absorbing your body heat.   However,
unlike a cat or a dog, they don't snuggle well....    He, she, it may have
reached its adult size as my corn snake did the same thing with the
reduction in diet, especially in Winter.  She'd barely eat a mouse every 6-8
weeks.   Just make sure it has plenty of water.

Can't speak for Ball Pythons though...  I've heard they can have rather
nasty dispositions and they can get big where rats become more like
appetizers and they really need small and medium sized rabbits.

And just so something method wise is here....

I doubt that using a real snake skin would substitute for Pierces
"snake-skin" dialysis membranes - it won't take the stir bar very well...
;-)

Hope this helps,
David
==========
David L. Haviland, Ph.D., Asst. Prof. Immunology
University of Texas - Houston, H.S.C.
Institute of Molecular Medicine, R907
2121 W. Holcombe Blvd.,  Houston, TX  77030
713.500.2413-Voice//713.500.2424-FAX
Thot for the Day:
Things could be worse...  Martha Stewart could be your mother-in-law.

---