destaining SDS-PAGE

Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Tue Jan 23 22:07:43 EST 2001

Want another cheap method?

After staining an SDS-PAG with CBB-R, put the gel in the destaining soln
(20%MeOH and/without 10% Acetic acid) and drop some pieces of packaging
"sponge". Used foam plugs for culture flasks, that are useless as plugs
after a few autoclavings, may be redeemed as CBB absorbing material. Cut
them thin and float them in the destain. Kimwipes or cellulosic materials,
that do not fall apart in the destain, may also be used. This is nothing
new and I wonder why more labs don't do this. The destain, if kept properly
sealed, can be used several times. No change of destaining solution is
needed and the gel is destained with a very clear background.

At 09:35 PM 1/23/01 +0000, Michael Witty wrote:
>Dear All, my group uses Amberlite mixed resin to help destain coomassie
>blue BUT only some types of the beads turn blue.  I wonder if anyone knows
>of a non-mixed product that I could use and save money.
>
>Regards, Mike.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
College Asst. Prof.
Molecular Biology,