destaining SDS-PAGE

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 04:37:27 EST 2001

Dear Dima and Hiranya,
                     is it cellulose or impurities in the tissue that
absorb the coomassie?  Are kimwipes snowy white tissues or light brown low
quality ones?  (we don't get them in the UK).  Sorry to keep labouring the
point!  Mike.

From: "Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury" <hroychow at nmsu.edu>

them thin and float them in the destain. Kimwipes or cellulosic materials,
that do not fall apart in the destain, may also be used. This is nothing
new and I wonder why more labs don't do this. The destain, if kept
properly
sealed, can be used several times. No change of destaining solution is
needed and the gel is destained with a very clear background.