destaining SDS-PAGE

Arnoud van Vliet avvliet at knoware.nl
Wed Jan 24 17:31:28 EST 2001

> Dear All, my group uses Amberlite mixed resin to help destain coomassie
> blue BUT only some types of the beads turn blue.  I wonder if anyone knows
> of a non-mixed product that I could use and save money.

Maybe beside the point, but I can advise to leave out the methanol from the
destain, and include isopropanol. My routine destain is 12.5% isopropanol
and 10% acetic acid, with microwaving, and the proteins remain bright blue
while the gel gets completely destained. When I use methanol, I get vagely
blue proteins, as they are destained too.

So for the prettiest Coomassie-stainings, use isopropanol (and no, I don't
have shares in the isopropanol industry :)

hope this helps
Arnoud

P.S. I don't use anything in the destain, no tissues or so. Never required
it.