destaining SDS-PAGE

Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Wed Jan 24 22:22:33 EST 2001

Indeed, heating during destaining has been around at least for 20 years.
When microwaves were not that ubiquitous (I do feel old!) around the labs,
leaving the gel in  destain and in an oven set at around 50 C used to do
the job.

At 11:31 PM 1/24/01 +0100, Arnoud van Vliet wrote:
>> Dear All, my group uses Amberlite mixed resin to help destain coomassie
>> blue BUT only some types of the beads turn blue.  I wonder if anyone knows
>> of a non-mixed product that I could use and save money.
>
>Maybe beside the point, but I can advise to leave out the methanol from the
>destain, and include isopropanol. My routine destain is 12.5% isopropanol
>and 10% acetic acid, with microwaving, and the proteins remain bright blue
>while the gel gets completely destained. When I use methanol, I get vagely
>blue proteins, as they are destained too.
>
>So for the prettiest Coomassie-stainings, use isopropanol (and no, I don't
>have shares in the isopropanol industry :)
>
>hope this helps
>Arnoud
>
>P.S. I don't use anything in the destain, no tissues or so. Never required
>it.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
College Asst. Prof.
Molecular Biology,