KGB buffer smearing enzyme electrophoresis bands?

Gary Neargarder neargard at students.sonoma.edu
Thu Jan 25 13:02:36 EST 2001

I have some beetle larvae homogenized in KGB buffer.  With adult beetles I
can use this homogenate to run electrophoresis gels to separate PGI bands
very clearly.  With the larvae, the bands are present, but very
smeared.  In addition, the same sample does not run evenly across two lanes
of the same gel.  The larvae run very clearly when homogenized in
water.  Does anybody have any suggestions on how I might be able to improve
these larval samples?  I no longer need them to be in KGB buffer, if that
may help in a solution to this problem.  Thanks

---