Fw: Is there a simple test for RNase and DNase free

Deanne Bell dbell at qnis.net
Fri Jan 26 11:48:40 EST 2001

> From: EO <eooe at hotmail.com>

> We are testing batches of biotech reagents such as the
> many common ones purchased from vendors in order
> to validate their certificate of analysis claims.
>
> We would like to test a samples of the batch for
> "DNASE and RNASE free" to confirm they are
> molecular biology grade.  Even the "protease free" test.
> Is there a simple test or protocol or kit I can use.?
> Suggestions?

Dear EO - I don't know where you are from but . . .

This is a good question!  I would also be interested in some simple
protocols for testing these claims.  And also in the results of your study.

Recently one of the biotech news magazines published a study on different
microfuge tubes and how badly they bound DNA being stored in them.  The
results were quite alarming in some cases, but they never published the
manufacturers names.  I understand the litigation end of naming names, but
as a lab technician I would like to know what brands to stay away from and
which brands work well.

If you are going to solicit help from this group, please be kind and share
the results of your study
:-)
Deanne Bell
Molecular Markers Lab Technician