plasmid kits opinions

David Micklem dmicklem at cmgm.nospam.invalid
Mon Jan 29 17:31:02 EST 2001

In article <bykd6.14753$KP3.4639348 at news3.rdc1.on.home.com>, EO
<eooe at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I asked this before but didn't get enough people to respond.
>It would be nice if all readers simply comment please.
>
>Here is the question again simlified:
>
>Please rate (your opinion) what kits are the 3 best
>for plasmid mini preps?

FWIW, (not much without further elaboration on 'best')

>1. ?

Quick'n'dirty boiling miniprep with RNAse and PEG precipitation cleanup
(2-tube protocol, no phenol/chloroform, fast, cheap, effective).

>2. ?

Quick'n'dirty boiling miniprep without RNAse or PEG precipitation
cleanup (1-tube protocol, no phenol/chloroform, very fast, cheap,
effective, easy to do lots)

>3. ?

Quick'n'dirty alkaline lysis

My experience of the kits is that they are neither quicker nor simpler
than the routine old-fashioned methods. One of their major claimed
advantages is that they don't use phenol/chloroform but non-kit
minipreps without these reagents have been around for ages. The degree
of purity they provide is massive overkill for many purposes

--
D.R. Micklem,              Time flies like an arrow...
Dept. of Anatomy,          Fruit flies like a banana.
Cambridge University,      Email:dmicklem at cmgm.stanford.edu
Cambridge, UK              Phone: +44 (1223) 333776
Unsolicited email will incur a US$100 processing charge.