plasmid kits opinions

David Micklem dmicklem at cmgm.nospam.invalid
Mon Jan 29 17:31:02 EST 2001

In article <bykd6.14753$KP3.4639348 at>, EO
<eooe at> wrote:

>I asked this before but didn't get enough people to respond.
>It would be nice if all readers simply comment please.
>Here is the question again simlified:
>Please rate (your opinion) what kits are the 3 best
>for plasmid mini preps?

FWIW, (not much without further elaboration on 'best')

>1. ?

Quick'n'dirty boiling miniprep with RNAse and PEG precipitation cleanup
(2-tube protocol, no phenol/chloroform, fast, cheap, effective).

>2. ?

Quick'n'dirty boiling miniprep without RNAse or PEG precipitation
cleanup (1-tube protocol, no phenol/chloroform, very fast, cheap,
effective, easy to do lots)

>3. ?

Quick'n'dirty alkaline lysis

My experience of the kits is that they are neither quicker nor simpler
than the routine old-fashioned methods. One of their major claimed
advantages is that they don't use phenol/chloroform but non-kit
minipreps without these reagents have been around for ages. The degree
of purity they provide is massive overkill for many purposes

D.R. Micklem,              Time flies like an arrow...
Dept. of Anatomy,          Fruit flies like a banana.
Cambridge University,      Email:dmicklem at
Cambridge, UK              Phone: +44 (1223) 333776
Unsolicited email will incur a US$100 processing charge.