In situ hybe emulsion

Peter Ashby p.r.ashby at dundee.MAPS.ac.uk
Tue Jan 30 05:58:20 EST 2001

In article <3A7622A9.37BB48D9 at po-box.mcgill.ca>, Rachel
<rgeddy at po-box.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> I am performing a radioactive in situ hybridization study and have come
> to the point of developing my slides. Two tester slides have me quite
> confused. Is the NTB-2 emulsion supposed to stay on the slide,
> effectively covering the sections, or is it supposed to come off to
> reveal the silver grains? All protocols I have seen neglect to mention
> this detail, and I have one slide with a emulsion layer which won't come
> off and one whose emulsion layer is coming off in pieces.

The emulsion is very definitely supposed to stay on, it contains the
silver grains. Think of it as like the film in a camera it is exactly
equivalent. Your description of the 'symptoms' suggest to me that the
emulsion may be too thick, did you heat it before dipping the slides?

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
Wellcome Trust Biocentre