In situ hybe emulsion

Peter Ashby p.r.ashby at dundee.MAPS.ac.uk
Tue Jan 30 11:30:23 EST 2001

In article <3A76E86F.95A63FEF at po-box.mcgill.ca>, Rachel
<rgeddy at po-box.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> I seem to have mostly uniform emulsion thickness, and the grey bit is
> evenly
> coated over one side (where it is still intact). The bits with the silver
> grains, as I said, are not covered with emulsion, which is frustratingly
> contrary to what you're telling me.

They must be covered with emulsion, if they are not where do you think
the silver grains come from? They do not migrate out of the emulsion and
are not created by the developing chemicals alone. I suggest to you that
the reason you do not think they are covered by emulsion is becuase the
emulsion layer is the correct thickness and so is transparent except
where exposed the label.

If the grey patch is over one side of the slide then your dipping
procedure is definitely at fault. Try dipping your slides portrait
rather than landscape then at least the grey bit will be smaller. I used
to dip with the emulsion in the water bath in a coplin jar, I also only
dipped one slide at a time.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby