5' End-labelling oligos with S-35 dATP

Harri Hassinen hhassine at hytti.uku.fi
Wed Jan 31 09:57:19 EST 2001

On 30 Jan 2001, Sue Shawcross wrote:

> 5' End-labelling oligos (with PO4 ends) using [gamma S-35 dATP] - can it
> be done with T4 kinase using the exchange reaction?

I guess this "gamma S-35 dATP" means an ATP with one oxygen atom of the
phosphate group replaced with an S-35 atom (radioactive label/stamp), with
the "d" meaning "deoxy"...

In this case, it COULD work since sulphur and oxygen are close to each
other in chemical properties. An example of such analogue between the two
atoms is the analogy between alcoholes and tioles. After all, it isn't the
phosphor atom that is exchanged by the enzyme but the whole phosphate
group which has four oxygen atoms bound to a central phosphor atom... If
one of the oxygens in the last phosphor group is replaced with a
gamma-active sulphur-35, it sounds like it COULD work.

I haven't tried this actually though...