Ethidium bromide

salanti ali at image.dk
Thu Jul 5 06:52:36 EST 2001

Hi.
In our lab we have so far stained our DNA agarosegels with ethidium bromide
after electrophoreses. The water we have washed the gels in after ethidium
bromide staining is collected and run through a column that should bind
ethidiumbromide. In order to minimize our use of Ethidium bromide we have
talked about mixing the samples with loading dye + ethidumbromide.
My questions are then: Is it necessary to run this gel in a fume hood? And
what about the running buffer, is it necessary to collect this and treat it
as chemical waste????
I have tried to obtain this information from the right authorities in my
country, but have failed! Does anyone have a suggestion??