Fw: Restriction Enzyme Stability at 50 degC?

Deanne Bell dbell at qnis.net
Fri Jul 6 11:13:29 EST 2001

Schechinger at Academia Sinica wrote
: >is there any info on stability / survival / star activity of restriction

: >enzymes normally used at 37 degC when they are forced to
: >work under more tropical conditions (i.e. in a double digest with
: >SfiI at 50 degreesC?)
:
: My guess would be that start activity would not increase but half life
: of enzyme would decrease. I would reckon you will drop down to between
: 25and 50% of enzyme activity.
: Duncan

AFAIR star activity can occur if you get any evaporation during incubation
time (I think [glycerol] increases or something like that).  At 50*C, I
imagine there will be alot of evap / condensation going on inside the tube.
I also think you just need to try it and see what happens

Deanne Bell
Molecular Markers Lab Technician
USDA Agricultural Research Service
2021 S. Peach Ave.