Ethidium bromide

Bryan J. Maloney bjm10 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 6 14:57:30 EST 2001

In article <9i486i$jc2$1 at news.net.uni-c.dk>, "salanti" <ali at image.dk>
wrote:

> Hi.
> In our lab we have so far stained our DNA agarosegels with ethidium
> bromide
> after electrophoreses. The water we have washed the gels in after
> ethidium
> bromide staining is collected and run through a column that should bind
> ethidiumbromide. In order to minimize our use of Ethidium bromide we have
> talked about mixing the samples with loading dye + ethidumbromide.

That will change how your samples run.  Also, most of your ethidium
bromide will end up running "backwards" on the gel and into your running
buffer.  If you are using very high concentrations of DNA, methylene
blue staining can work (but it also stops electrophoretic mobility once
it's applied).

> My questions are then: Is it necessary to run this gel in a fume hood?

Probably not.

> And
> what about the running buffer, is it necessary to collect this and treat
> it
> as chemical waste????

No less so than the liquid used for destaining.

--
"A 'Cape Cod Salsa' just isn't right."