additional question: RNA stability and storage

Jake Stout jstout at uoguelph.ca
Mon Jul 9 10:06:06 EST 2001

I used to do a bunch of competitive RTPCRs... I noticed that after
3 freeze-thaws my templated started to degrade.  The RNA was just kept
in milipore water.

Jake

Dr. James J. Campanella (campanellj at mail.montclair.edu) wrote:
: So how what percentage of loss does everyone think you
: will get per freeze-thaw cycle if the RNA is left in
: a single tube and freeze-thawed for use? 10% 20% 50%?

: >Hi,
: >
: >I'm just wondering how most people store their RNA extracts.
: >Obviously freeze-thawing is not a worry in long-term storage,
: >but if you are using your RNA extracts every day and
: >storing them frozen, how do you ensure that you do not
: >lose much RNA to degradation? Sorry if the question is a bit
: >naive, but I have mostly dealt with DNA in the past . . .
: >
: >Thanks,
: >
: >Jim
: >
: >Montclair State University
: >Dept. of Biology and Molecular Biology
: >Montclair, NJ 07043
: >
: >---
: >