Western blot problem

Anna ad at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 12 04:55:52 EST 2001

Hi everyone,

I have been running westerns for eNOS, nNOS and iNOS successfully using
various rodent organ tissues.  I use actin as a housekeeper.

In order to show reproducibility I recently re-ran the exact same lysates
again, along with some freshly made lysates.  Strangely I found that the
actin signal was very much weaker in some (not all) of the original lysates,
as wells as in the fresh lysates.

I re-ran all these again, and while there is a pretty stong actin signal, it
is still weaker in those tissues which before showed a weak actin signal.

I am not sure what could have happened.  The NOS signal in ALL the tissues
was fine - so it is not the lysates themselves but possibly the actin
specifically which has degraded.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Does anyone know what could have happened?

I would be really grateful for any suggestions.

Anna