Soaking in nucleic acids into a PAGE gel

Dr. Duncan Clark news at
Thu Jul 12 07:49:40 EST 2001

In article <3B4CD1B2.9D74CBB3 at>, the eminent
Karl Fischer at GHRI wrote
>What a colleague is interested in trying is leaving the polynucleotide
>template out of the gel matrix for the electrophoresis step and to soak
>in a template post-electrophoresis. My questions are:
>1) Is such a soak-in approach possible? If so what concentrations of
>template and duration of soak are required?
>2) Is there a size limitation for the template which can be effectively
>soaked into the gel?

I'm not sure it will be possible. You can elute oligos out of acrylamide
so you don't want to assay using a small polynucleotide. If it can go in
it can also come out during washes, hence why denatured/activated
xsomal DNA was used originally.

Why do you want to omit the DNA?

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.
Tel: +44(0)1252376288
FAX: +44(0)8701640382