Housekeeping Genes

Chris Herbert C.W.Herbert at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Jul 12 10:11:34 EST 2001

Hi there

I am currently carrying out some Real-Time PCR experiments using a Roche
Lightcycler on tumour and non-tumour tissue samples. As this is a very
sensitive technique I require reliable housekeeping genes to use as
internal standards for these experiments.  It has been suggested that I use
GAPDH, but I am reluctant to use this as it has recently been suggested
that GAPDH levels increase dramatically in times of cellular stress.  I
have used Beta-Actin as an internal control for my experiments so far but
wish to validate my results by checking that levels of cDNA are normalised
using a second or third housekeeping gene.

Can anybody suggest other housekeeping genes that I can use?

Many thanks for your help.

Chris.

---