tissue crusher

Mon Jul 16 08:43:13 EST 2001

"Adrian Molenaar" <adrian.molenaar at agresearch.co.nz> wrote:
:
:We find the mortar and pestle method for crushing tissue for RNA etc
:extraction tedious and so, working with  people in our workshop, have
:developed a better device.  We wondered if other Molecular Biologists might
:be interested in this simple, effective and robust tool.  Our workshop will
:'hand' make tissue crushers on order for a fee. The current low value of the
:New Zealand dollar, ($1 NZ = $0.41 US) makes this quite cheap (similar to a
:gel tank and less than an ultra-turrax probe). Pictures of the crushers and
:pricing are available on the link below.
:
:Regards
:
:Adrian Molenaar
:
:http://www.agresearch.co.nz/agr/agrsci/crusher/tissue_crush.htm
:

Somehow looking at these pics I have a feeling that even thought the
device might be easier to use than good ole mortar and pestle in
LN2, it is probably less efficient and even less reproducible. Any
reasons why I am wrong?

        - Dima