Ethidium bromide

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 17 06:56:55 EST 2001

Does anyone have any medical or epidemiological data about people getting
sick from EtBr?  Especially at the concentration we use?

Before I am howled down, I once went through an interesting experience
with a new safety officer who notice I was using sodium azide.  She
considered it to be "poisonous" and made me do some library research
on how to use it safely.  This is in spite of the fact that I and my
collegues had been using the stuff at 0.02% for decades.  I found out
that the "poisonous" sodium azide is not really good a poisoning people
at all (I found some medical papers on accidental ingestion of the
stuff, though it is a very bad local irritant).

Can we say the same thing about EtBr ie that it is "safe" at the level we
use it at?  Mike