Ethidium bromide

Roland Hubner roland.hubner at
Tue Jul 17 09:21:51 EST 2001

In article <3B54B528.27672.841F1E at localhost>, wolfsc at
("Wolfgang Schechinger") wrote:

> It's a little off topic, but recently I saw a paper from a Brasilian
> group doing Ames' test with caffeine. It proved to be positive at
> concenrtations we happily take in with our daily coffee...
> cum grano salis
> Wo

 No surprise (!/?) -- caffeine breaks chromosomes & the bacteria in the
Ames test have no nuclear compartiment...

 I vaguely remember that caffeine was not considered worth a study by an
US toxicology agency because it was a COMMON (natural?) food