Coomassie anti-bands

Richard P. Grant rpg14 at
Wed Jul 18 07:35:39 EST 2001

In article
<Pine.SGI.4.33.0107181314480.2513510-100000 at>,
 Michael Witty <mw132 at> wrote:

> protein gels:  I have a gel, stained with Coomassie blue which has a very
> light blue background and darker blue bands BUT also some things which
> look like protein bands (about 20kDa) but are less blue than the background.
> Whatever it is seems to be repelling the Coomassie blue!  Mike.

Hi Mike,

That usually means your Coomassie is going off - i.e. the methanol has
evaporated.  Time to make some fresh :)

Tip - I make up two litres at a time and store it in a cupboard in the
coldroom.  I use about 100 ml as my working stock, good for a dozen
gels, probably many more.

Richard P. Grant  0x5F9559B1                         MRC Lab of Mol Biol
rpg 'at'
                   -- 'Immunologically flaccid' --