Ethidium bromide

Tim Spahlinger txs at po.cwru.edu
Wed Jul 18 08:16:29 EST 2001

My safety data sheet also indicates no known carcinogenic
hazard.  However, the following appears in the section
"Toxicological Information - Mutagenic Data" (the following
is condensed to only effects upon human cells/tissues): "DNA
adduct - human fibroblast 2 umol/L; DNA damage - human
leukocyte 5 mg/L; DNA inhibition - human HeLa cell 40
umol/L;", and several more listings are given for more
mammals.

Maybe we should still "respect" EtBr's potential to cause
harm.