Gel purification ligation problem

Chris Boyd cboyd at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 10:31:12 EST 2001

David Micklem <dmicklem at cmgm.nospam.invalid> wrote:
: [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
:    the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
:
: In article <3B5582C8.23CAAD04 at bristol.ac.uk>, Dr. Harry Witchel
: <Harry.Witchel at deletethis.bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
:
:>Hi folks --
:>        In my lab we are currently having problems with gel
:>purification of DNA from agarose.  We are using Qiagen gel purification
(snip)
:
: You aren't by any chance using a short-wave UV gel box to cut out your
: bands are you? 254nm UV (and even mid-wave (315nm??, I forget)) messes
: up ligation/transformation efficiency _really_ fast.

See

1. Gr"undemann, D. and Sch"omig, E. (1996) `Protection of DNA during
   preparative agarose gel electrophoresis against damage induced by
   ultraviolet light.' BioTechniques, 21, 898-903.

Best wishes,
--
Chris Boyd                      | from, but \    Medical Genetics Section
Chris.Boyd at ed.ac.uk             | not for,  /    MMC, Edinburgh Uni.,