Concentrating 1-2 ml to <20 uL

Bob Jones bobjones1235 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 16:03:53 EST 2001

Greetings all,

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a product of "home-grown" method
to concentrate solutions of macromolecules (protein, plasmid, virus,
you name it) from ~1-2 ml to <20 uL.  I need to maintain (as much as
possible) the native state of these species for biophysical studies so
i'm not to keen on precipitation methods.  Most centrifuge-based or
minicon-type concentrators seem to only get you down to ~50 ul (I no
it doesn't seem like a big difference between 50 and 20 but it is) and
unfortunately I don't have enough sample to take advantage of these.
I had thought of floating the sample on a dialysis membrane above a
PEG solution but attempts to concentrate buffer alone didn't go to
well :)  Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

Bob