Frozen Electrocompetent Yeast, anyone?

Dr. Duncan Clark news at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 26 04:24:09 EST 2001

In article <9jnu7q$t8_004 at doit.wisc.edu>, the eminent Dima Klenchin at
UW wrote
>>I am not sure how to get rid of this "worm" and would
>>appreciate any help.
>
>First and foremost, get good antivirus. F-Secure is the best, Norton
>and McAfee are the worst.

Dispute 'cos I've McAfee has worked much better than the rest - but
enough of flame wars!

>Or, do a search for something like "trojan removal". There are a number
>of such programs. It will cure youe PC. Or, if you like investigative
>passtime, you can hunt it down and kill yourself. There are freeware
>programs called "File Monitor" and "Registry Monitor". Using them
>should help you find out what file does these malicious things.

Get some antivirus software and using the clean (virus free) boot disk
provided with it, boot into DOS and scan and clean your computer. Boot
back to windows and install the remainder of the anti-virus package.
With luck you will then be OK.

To stop being reinfected don't let floppy disks near your computer,
unless scanned first.

Never open an attachment, unless it is one you are expecting. Just
because you receive an e-mail from an address you recognise, if it
contains an attachment then be very careful.

Make sure your e-mail software doesn't open them automatically upon
receipt.

Be careful of word .doc attachments due to macro viruses. If you need to
send a word processor file then save it as .rtf (rich text format and
send that) 'cos I believe .rtf files do not allow macros.

Use an antivirus software that is setup to automatically scan on open
and save any file.

Make sure you update the virus definition files weekly. It's no good
installing anti-virus software and expecting it to be of use six months
later as new viruses come out.

Invariably viruses nowadays go for your windows address book and mail
out copies of themselves to everyone on it. E-mail software most at risk
is Lookout Distress or variants. Does Eudora use the windows address
book as standard?

If you have a permanent internet connection/access then consider getting
a personal firewall i.e. Zone Alarm, Tiny personal firewall (both free)
and make sure all open ports are blocked. That will stop anyone hacking
into your computer and if you have a trojan it should stop it being
accessed from outside your computer.

Have fun

Duncan
--
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.
Tel: +44(0)1252376288
FAX: +44(0)8701640382