shipping paraffin-embedded tissue from USA to Europe

Tim Spahlinger txs at
Mon Jul 30 07:37:04 EST 2001

International transport of hazardous material is tightly
regulated by international convention.  Dry ice, believe it
or not, is considered to be a hazardous material.  I'm sorry
that I can't help you with the necessary permits (I think
you'll have to inquire the FDA and CDC yourself in this
regard).  However, a Canadian company called Saf-T-Pak
provides shipping containers, forms and training for
hazardous shipments.  Their URL is:  A visit there might help you out.

Bob wrote:
> I have a paraffin embedded bloc of human tissue that I want to send from my
> lab in US to a lab in Germany. The tissue is HIV1&2, HBV and HCV-free.Do I
> need any special export permits and if yes, where to obtain them ? Do my
> German colleagues have to provide me with any German permits before I even
> attempt shipping overseas?
> Many thanks for the feedback,
> B.

More information about the Methods mailing list