how to convert "units"of reagent in weight ?

M D internul at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 6 09:12:39 EST 2001

Excuse me for this very trivial question, but I have a doubt on my method to
calculate a concentration using international units (IU). For instance, in a
paper from Davidson and Cronin on NAP culture media, the composition of
polymyxin B solution is 0,03 % w/v. But this reagent is sold in vials
containing 30,000 units per vial. What is the exact way to convert these
units ?

Sometimes, those simple questions are ruining your day...

Thanks !

M.D.