ligation problem

Jim Kami jakami at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 7 16:30:49 EST 2001

I know you probably thought of these, but some thoughts are:
1). RE sites too close to the ends for efficient cutting. The NEB web site talks about this for some enzymes.
2) Wrong Ligation Buffer. We had a postdoc who accidentally used ligase dilution buffer instead of reaction buffer. No ATP = No ligase
activity.
3) Sour Ligase. Ligase is very temp sensitive. 65 is used to inactivate it, but it will degrade at even room temp, albeit more slowly.
4) Competent cells not so competent. Even with the best of vector preps, we always see some background colonies from the vector.
5) Drop Dialysis. You didn't mention if you removed the ligation salts before transformation. Absolutely essential for electroporation,
HIGHLY recommended for chemically competent cells.

Just some ideas, good luck.

Jim Kami
Dept. of Agronomy
University of California