Quick Questions: Top Software Tools Used

JR zerohourx at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 9 05:56:08 EST 2001

Quick Questions: Molecular Biology Software Tools

I am quite new to the molecular biology realm.  In fact I'm a computer
science student in Toronto.  I've kindled an interest in the bioinformatics
field and at present am wolfing down as much information about biochemistry
and molecular biology as I can including information gathering of the
actively used software tools in the industry.  I've already done some
volunteer work for microarraying (created a microarray plate editor software
tool) but I'm still unclear as to the answers to a few questions.  I find
this field tremendously exciting and would like to provide software tools
that better meet the researcher's needs.

1.  From what you've heard, experienced, or feel please tell me the 5 most
popular "commercial" computer software tools used within molecular
biology.    If it's possible can you provide the price for each product.

2.  What are the 5 most popular "freeware" computer software tools used
within molecular biology?

3.  What complaints do you have with the commercial and/or freeware computer
software tools?

4.  What operating system (OS) would researchers "prefer" to use their
software tools on: Unix/Linux, Mac,  or Windows?