Quick Questions: Top Software Tools Used

Johannes Graumann graumann at sue.caltech.edu
Sat Jun 9 14:55:11 EST 2001

> 1.  From what you've heard, experienced, or feel please tell me the 5 most
> popular "commercial" computer software tools used within molecular
> biology.    If it's possible can you provide the price for each product.
DNA strider, Vector NTI

> 2.  What are the 5 most popular "freeware" computer software tools used
> within molecular biology?
Amplify, ...?

> 3.  What complaints do you have with the commercial and/or freeware computer
> software tools?
expensive, no "real" operating system

> 4.  What operating system (OS) would researchers "prefer" to use their
> software tools on: Unix/Linux, Mac,  or Windows?

I'm hunting for quite some while for something fancy (user friendly,
primer design, plasmid drawing, alignments, cloning, ...) for my linux box
- no success. Vector NTI does pretty much everythin I want, but it's not
for unix and expensice. Available freeware sadly reflects the weird Mac
affinity of the accademic world.

How about sitting down and creating something for Linux ;o)?

Johannes