Glycerol stock longevity

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 9 15:24:48 EST 2001

Dear Rick,
         I have heard this too, and my collegues have suffered from this
problem.  BUT when I make glycerol stocks with exactly the same strains I
can keep them going for years by being very careful to keep them
very cold and taking cells by scraping stuff of the top of the culture.
     Could the problem be that the cultures warm up too much?  I am
practically obsessive about using dry ice to carry them around the lab and
so on.  Mike.