in search of an insulin receptor antagonist

Wolfgang Schechinger wolfsc at ibms.sinica.edu.tw
Mon Jun 11 21:03:25 EST 2001

John,
Downstream of the IR (and upstream of MAP kinase), there is
PI3 kinase that may be blocked very effectively (and quite
specific and cheap) with Wortmannin (applied as soln in
DMSO). See e.g. Calbiochem or Sigma catalogue for this and
other drugs. There should be some stuff now available blocking
(more or less specific) the IR receptor tyrosine kinases. I am
also aware of LY (some 5 or 6 digit number) from Lilly, but I am
not sure if this is commercially available.
If you cannot find anything suitable in the literature (try
PubMed or the internet with "insulin AND inhibitor" or similar)
or in catalogues, feel free to mail me. I could ask my former
colleagues in Tuebingen to dig out some stuff. (or check the
publications of Haring HU et. al.)

Wolfgang