E. coli preservation

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 14 08:36:59 EST 2001

LOL, Nick.  I've never done it myself, but the first guy I worked for had
gotten his PhD in micorbiology in the 70's, and he once told me about
storing bacteria as stab cultures (although we always made glycerol freezer
stocks in that lab).  I was pretty amazed at the time because he told me
they would last for a couple of years like that.

So I suppose I am old enough (38?) to at least have had the knowleged
passed down to me by an elder!  I was waiting for somebody who actually had
experience doing it to post.  I'm sort of amazed you are the only one to
suggest it!

Mike

>Am I the only one here old enough to remember stab cultures?
>
>I also note that ATCC often ships lyophilized bugs; you might check their
>website to see if they have a procedure.
>
>Nick
>
>--
>Nick Theodorakis
>nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu