E. coli preservation

Dr. Duncan Clark news at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Jun 14 09:27:07 EST 2001

In article <v04011701b74e6d5f5719@[144.92.64.179]>, the eminent Michael
L. Sullivan at BIOSCI/MRC Human Genome Mapping Project Resource Centre
wrote
>So I suppose I am old enough (38?) to at least have had the knowleged
>passed down to me by an elder!  I was waiting for somebody who actually had
>experience doing it to post.  I'm sort of amazed you are the only one to
>suggest it!

The problem with stabs is sealing them praperly. I used to use 5ml glass
bijous and then candle wax sealed the metal cap. I still have some from
maybe 15 years ago though whether they are alive I do not know. Stabs
done in screw capped eppendorfs also work but tend to dry over 3 -
5years although I'm pretty sure somewhere in a cupboard I have some from
maybe 10 years ago. With both of these you can autoclave the agar in the
tube. Not much good for plates though :-(

Duncan
--
It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really
quite busy.

Dr. Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.
Tel. +44 (0) 1252376288