endosymbiont DNA purification

Arnoud van Vliet avvliet at ision.nl
Sat Jun 16 14:33:32 EST 2001

> we want to extract DNA of prokaryotic symbionts and separate it from the
> eukaryotic host's DNA.
> Does somebody have an idea of how to achieve this

Dear Caroline,

this is usually achieved by density gradient centrifugation before DNA
purification. There is a lot of literature on this with regards to
Rickettsia and Chlamydia species, and endosymbionts of insects. In the case
of the bacteria I worked on, Percoll or Renografin density gradients work
OK.

If you already purified the DNA from the sample, I am afraid there is not
much you can do anymore.

hope this helps
Arnoud