E. coli preservation

Chris Fields cjfields at jove.acs.unt.edu
Sun Jun 17 19:03:37 EST 2001

My professor has several strains of E. coli and Salmonella in stab
cultures that are still viable after 20 years!  I think that you have to
be VERY careful with the phenotype.  A few of his were DOA due to
thymineless death (had a thyA mutation).  I guess his grad student at
the time had left out the thymidine; my prof was a bit pissed.

Several of my E. coli and Pseudomonas strains in stabs have been fine
for the last three years with no detectable loss of viability.  I don't
store strains with plasmids this way (I freshly transform them) and I
always make sure to store additional stocks at -80deg and lyophilized.
This way, if the stab dies, I have a failsafe.

I think Molecular Cloning by Sambrook has all of the procedures.

C. J. Fields

--
C. J. Fields
Graduate Student, Dept. of Biological Sciences

email : cjfields at jove.acs.unt.edu
"Giving money and power to government is like giving
 whiskey and car keys to teenage boys"
				-P. J. O'Rourke
"Join the military.  Travel to exotic places, meet
exciting people, then kill them"
				-Anonymous