cloning of PCR products - errors?

Kristo K M Kulju kulju at sirppi.helsinki.fi
Mon Jun 18 06:04:26 EST 2001

Hello! I have a (probably very elementary) question about cloning:

I have been sequencing PCR clones to detect intraindividual nrDNA ITS
polymorphisms.  Now I'm wondering how much of the detected sequence
variation is artificial.  There is lot of publications about PCR
errors but what about cloning procedure? Is is considered to be
practically "error free"? If not, is there any information available
about quantity and quality of cloning errors in DNA sequences?

Thank you for any information and references,

	Kristo Kulju