Best plant RNA kit?

Karthik Aghoram kaghoram at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Jun 18 15:35:18 EST 2001

Hi,

I can imagine how RNA yield and quality would vary depending on the plant
part you are studying.  But I'll give you my 0.02's worth, anyhow :-):
for both whole-leaf and seed RNA isolations in soy and Arabidopsis,
GIBCO-BRL (now Invitrogen)'s TRIZOL has worked really well in my hands.

Good luck.
Karthik (who is not affiliated in any way with the companies mentioned
         above; they are not even sending me a t-shirt ....)

Allison MacKay (amackay at uoguelph.ca) wrote:
: I was wondering if I could get a few suggestions about which
: RNA extraction kit to use for plant tissue?  My species is a
: small, non-woody weed (sort of like Arabidopsis in consistency
: actually!).  I've been using Ambion's RNAqueous-midi kit (with
: homogenization by grinding in liquid N2 followed by Dounce) but
: yields have been downright pathetic (<100 ug per g of tissue)!
: I've heard that RNEasy from Qiagen is good.  Any advice would be
: greatly appreciated.
:
: --
: Allison Mackay
: Plant Cell Technology Laboratory
: Department of Plant Agriculture
: University of Guelph

Karthik Aghoram				Postdoctoral Associate
					Dept of Crop Science
e-mail: kaghoram at unity.ncsu.edu		North Carolina St University
Phone (W): 919-515-2705			Raleigh, NC 27695-7620