RNA resuspension problem (heat issues)

Alan Smith alansmith at students.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 19 17:33:57 EST 2001

I have a quick question about this remark.

>Heating for long period is not good.

I always heat my samples for 5-20 minutes at 65 C after a RNA prep to help
dissolve the RNA in formamide.  I have not noticed damage often, but some
times I loose a sample.  Does high heat cause the RNA to autocatalyse itself
and degrade?   What is the general reason not considering RNases that would
cause heat to destroy a sample of RNA in solution (assuming no RNases)?  I
know that metal ions can cause RNA to degrade itself and freeze thawing can
cause a large problem, but I have always assumed that RNA is stable at high
temps 60 - 95 C.  Does the heat just speed up the weird autocatalytic
activity of RNA and cause a sample to degrade?

Thanks

Alan Smith