protein mass weight different?

VoiD legatek at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Tue Jun 19 22:05:38 EST 2001

On 20 Jun 2001, Jun Zhang wrote:

>           By immunoscreening methods,our lab has gotten a new gene. However
> surprisingly, the protein mass weight that I expressed the gene in E.coli is
> much smaller than that obtained by immunoprecipitation.
>     The first possibility we come into mind is that glycosylation.
>       But we can not find any glycosylation site in our predicted protein
> sequence.

Is the protein highly negatively charged? FtsY runs anomalously on
SDS-PAGE partially because it has an unusual charge distribution. Your
protein may be behaving in a similar manner.

Kyle Legate  (legatek at mcmaster.ca)
Tower of Tongues -- 10:30-11:30 Thursday nights on 93.3 CFMU
                    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
                    Experimental radio touched by the hand of Maldoror
		    live webcast: http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca