amazing stability of restriction enzymes

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Jun 20 12:03:56 EST 2001

I just wanted to report something that may be of interest.

The box with all our restriction enzymes got inadvertantly left out by some
lab Gremlin (well, I think I know who really did it, but without definative
proof, a public flogging is out of the question).  Preumably, the box got
left out all night, as it was found on a table top by the first person in
the lab at about 7:15 AM.

I would have thought they'd all be ruined, but since it would be a lot of
money to replace them all, I decided it would be worthwhile to have my
undergraduate student test them.  Surprisingly, all the enzymes seem to be
working fine, or at least have retained sufficient activity that they are
still usable.

I'm not suggesting benchtop storage of enzymes, but if something like this
ever happens in your lab, definately check the activity before throwing
them out!

Mike

Michael L. Sullivan, Ph.D

U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center