amazing stability of restriction enzymes

Frank O. Fackelmayer Frank at Fackelmayer.de
Thu Jun 21 11:07:40 EST 2001

"Dr. Duncan Clark" wrote:

> believe it led to an EU patent. Basically the authors found that very
> low levels of casein were enough to increase enzyme activity up to
> 1000fold! It never caught on with the manufacturers though!

well, we tried it. We did find small increases in activity, but nowhere
near the 1000fold increase reported in the paper. We concluded it isn´t
worth the effort and the extra casein, and gave up using it after a few
trials. None of the researchers I have talked to since has ever used it
routinely. Guess why...

Frank