cloning of PCR products - errors?

Frank O. Fackelmayer Frank at Fackelmayer.de
Fri Jun 22 11:40:22 EST 2001

Kristo K M Kulju wrote:

> > > Yes.  That's why it's called 'cloning'.
> > agreed, it is CONSIDERED to be error free. But of course it is not. Bugs
>
> Thanks for the help! Does anybody know references about this? Something I
> could cite if I want to say that Taq-errors are more probable reason of
> point-mutation artefacts than cloning.

Using published values for the error rates of Taq polymerase and E.coli
polymerase I you could also give a rough impression of the probability
that a particular error is due to PCR. Taking the values from the NEB
catalog (page 75), the error rate for Taq it 285x10-6, that of PolI is
9x10-6. That is a ratio of around 30.

Frank